Showing posts with label Autos. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Autos. Show all posts

Sunday, March 15, 2009

News: No need for wage cuts, CAW says

J. Sturgeon | Financial Post | 03. 06. 2009

Auditors of General Motors Corp. say North America's largest automaker may be forced to seek bankruptcy protection as it fights for financial survival, raising the odds that workers in Canada will be compelled to accept reduced wages and substantial clawbacks to legacy benefits.

If the Canadian Auto Workers union does not agree to concessions, it could spell the end of GM manufacturing in Canada, experts say.

The auditors' warning, filed in GM's annual report last week but acknowledged by the company yesterday, also raised concern among federal and provincial lawmakers over the "sustainability" of the U. S. automaker -- and the billions in Canadian taxpayer-backed loans being extended to it.

Part of GM's path toward returning to profitability lies in labour-cost reductions both in Canada and the United States. Union officials for the CAW began yesterday the unenviable task of renegotiating a collective bargaining agreement for the roughly 10,000 workers the automaker employs here.

"The auto workers are in a desperate situation going in," said Dennis DesRosiers, a senior Canadian auto analyst and president of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants Inc. in Richmond Hill.

CAW officials said they have reviewed a tentative agreement that union workers in the United States have reached with the company and plan to amend the Canadian union's terms to maintain the same level of investment and production that GM dedicates to Canada now, which is about 20% of North American operations.

GM's mounting losses, a negative net worth and massive cash-burn rate may mean the Canadian union will have to absorb heavy concessions in the coming days just to keep the automaker in Canada, Mr. DesRosiers said.

"[The CAW would] be fortunate to get a term sheet that says, 'Here's what it is going to take for us to stay in Canada, take it or leave it.' "

Ken Lewenza, the CAW president, told reporters in Toronto yesterday the terms reached between GM and the United Auto Workers, the U. S. union, did not cut wages or "core" benefits. There is no reason why the CAW could not draft a similar agreement, he said. "We believe we can maintain our existing wage and benefits package."

New bargaining agreements with workers in Canada and the United States may be for naught, though, if North American lawmakers lose faith in GM's ability to revive its fortunes. Yesterday, the grim auditor assessment created fresh uncertainty among lawmakers whether taxpayer money should go toward a company that may well fail anyway.

Ontario's minister responsible for the auto sector acknowledged there is the possibility that money from the province may not be forthcoming.

"If it is not a viable company, we will not make a deal," said Michael Bryant, Ontario's Economic Development Minister, which is partnering with Ottawa in providing potential financial aid to the Detroit automakers. "If it is a company that doesn't have a profitable future, haven't addressed their legacy costs, don't have a business plan that makes sense to us, we will not make that investment -- because it would be a bad investment."

Speaking from Washington where he is consulting with U. S. officials, Jim Flaherty, the federal Minister of Finance, reiterated in a television interview that "viable" plans must be demonstrated by GM and Chrysler if loan support is to remain in place. That includes potential wage concessions and benefit clawbacks, the Minister said.

"There are the costs of labour, the overall costs of benefit packages -- are they competitive between the Detroit Three and the other automobile companies in Canada?" Mr. Flaherty said. "Those are some of the variables that need to be looked at in order to come to some sensible determination on the sustain-ability of these enterprises."

GM reported a US$30.9-billion loss in its 2008 annual report, which also contained an auditor assessment that stated "substantial doubt" existed that the automaker could make good on certain looming debt payments, forcing it into bankruptcy protection.

GM said yesterday it has received waivers from its lenders to have loan recalls deferred.

A spokesperson for GM told The Wall Street Journal GM's main concern at present was attaining the lender waivers, which will buy more time for the company to restructure.


-30-

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Magna Entertainment's race may be run

By J. Sturgeon | Financial Post | Feb. 19

Frank Stronach's debt-plagued Magna Entertainment Corp. appears on the verge of financial collapse after the money-losing horse racetrack business said it may not be able to repay looming obligations, adding to the Canadian entrepreneur's woes as his car-parts company struggles to weather the crisis hammering the auto industry.

The Toronto Stock Exchange placed MEC under review on Thursday for a possible delisting on an "expedited basis" signalling the company is at or nearing insolvency, according to the bourse's listing rules.

The review comes in the wake of a collapsed plan that would have seen MEC's controlling shareholder, MI Developments Inc. (MID), spin off its majority stake in exchange for additional capital support in the form of temporary loans.

That plan disintegrated this week after MID said new debt financing for the deal was "unlikely" to be found, given "current global economic conditions [and] the continued disruptions in the financial markets."

As a result, US$274-million in outstanding loans that MEC owes MID will be called in next month, potentially triggering a feeding frenzy among MEC's other creditors.

If it is unable to repay that sum alongside an outstanding balance on a US$40-million credit facility to an unnamed Canadian chartered bank, "substantially all of its other current and long-term debt will also become due on demand," the company said.

MEC reported in its latest quarterly results it has more than US$600-million in debt sitting on its balance sheet. MEC has been attempting to sell assets including several racetracks for months to service debt.

MEC, the largest owner of horse racetracks in North America including Santa Anita in California, said negotiations with MID are continuing, which may include an extension on the repayment date of Mar. 20.

The possibility of a reprieve does exist.

"Look who the lender is and look at what the lender has done in the past," said an analyst that follows the company on Thursday. "Payment dates have come and gone."

MID has pumped hundreds of millions into MEC, which has lost at least US$500-million since 2003, and routinely granted extensions on loan repayments.

The latest came in October when MEC's board approved an extension on a $125-million bridge loan.

"The question you have to ask is, is the lender going to continue to?" the analyst said.

Minority shareholders in MID have grown intensely hostile toward the seemingly unbridled financial support it has given the gambling and horse-racing business.

The collapsed deal was designed to rid MID of its interests in MEC and place stringent rules on any future transactions between the two firms.

Shares in MEC plummeted more than 24% to an even 50¢ on the TSX on Thursday. MID's stock price fell 6% to $7.87. Calls to MEC and MID were not returned. Mr. Stronach is the chairman of both companies.

MEC's precarious situation is compounding the magnate's difficulties as Magna International Inc. faces off against the worst crisis to hit the auto industry in the post-war period.

The company, which he founded, reported its first quarterly loss in 17 years in November and said it was braced for a lengthy auto-sales slump in North America and Europe.

Magna, which has shuttered plants and initiated layoffs to combat the crisis, is set to report fourth-quarter results next week.

GM loosening consumer credit as bailout funds flow

By Jamie Sturgeon | Financial Post | Dec. 30, 2008


General Motors Corp.'s lending arm, GMAC Financial Services LLC, said Tuesday it has immediately loosened consumer access to credit in the U.S. after Washington bought US$5-billion worth of preferred equity in the company.

The U.S. Treasury waded further into the waters in which the American automotive industry is treading late Monday, using cash originally set aside to aid failing banks to buy the 8%-dividend paying stake in GMAC "as part of a broader program to assist the domestic automotive industry in becoming financially viable."

"The actions of the federal government to support GMAC are having an immediate and meaningful effect on our ability to provide credit to automotive customers," said Bill Muir, president of GMAC, in a statement. "We will continue to employ responsible credit standards, but will be able to relax constraints we put in place a few months ago due to the credit crisis."

General Motors Crop. said in a conference call it would begin offering 0% financing up to 60 months on certain 2008 and 2009 models in an attempt to turn plummeting U.S. sales around. The company also signalled it could resume leasing.

"It is something we are looking at," said Mark LaNeve, chief executive of North American sales.

The implications for Canada, where governments have already extended $4-billion in taxpayer-backed loans to GM and Chrysler, are uncertain.

"This is a positive situation, but I don't know how positive it is," said Dennis DesRosiers, president of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants Inc. in Richmond Hill, Ont. "U.S. consumers aren't buying, fixing GMAC should help them come back to the marketplace."

It is another sign though that Washington is unwilling to let GM, Chrysler LLC or Ford Motor Co. fail.

Treasury officials said money for the equity purchase in GMAC has come from a new, separate fund within its Troubled Asset Relief Program dedicated wholly to the auto industry.

More than US$17-billion has already been made available to the Detroit Three from TARP funds as they restructure, a move that received proportionate backing for their Canadian operations from Ottawa and the province of Ontario on Dec. 20.

Most analysts say it likely isn't enough to see the companies through their restructuring as market conditions continue to slump, meaning more capital will be needed from Washington, and in turn, Ottawa.

Still, Himanshu Patel, auto analyst at J.P. Morgan said the GMAC bailout reduces the chances of a bankruptcy filing at GM.

"While an eventual GM Chapter 11 cannot be entirely dismissed if various stakeholders fail to meet required concessions, federal aid to GMAC suggests the government is probably now so entangled ... a Chapter 7 liquidation seems highly unlikely," he wrote in a note to clients.

Financial difficulties at GMAC as well as Chrysler Financial have directly hit GM and Chrysler sales, Michael J. Jackson, chief executive of AutoNation Inc., told the Wall Street Journal.

GMAC, which engaged in pushing riskier adjustable-rate mortgages that fueled the U.S. subprime housing boom, has restricted credit and raised lending standards in recent months as its own finances have deteriorated.

The lender, which was approved by the U.S. Federal Reserve last week to become a bank-holding company therefore qualifying for TARP, is the traditional source for many GM buyers.

GM of Canada sales were down 23% in November. Sales were off more than 40% year-over-year in the U.S.

"Consumer credit is the jet fuel of the auto business," Mr. Jackson said in a recent interview. "The majority of consumers can't buy a car without getting a loan."

The U.S. Treasury said it would also give an additional US$1-billion to GM to allowing it to participate in an equity offering by GMAC as it tries to raise more capital. The loan adds to the US$9.4-billion the U.S. Treasury is lending GM, the largest automaker in North America.